What's new

why

Dương Văn Cường

Administrator
Hey man!

The example doesn't match with your questions. The little girl should be known as a special one, no related to the nomal processes in learning English for most of us.

In my oppinion, foreign langguage is the most "special-ability dependent" subject. I have known a lot of man who have spent not only the time but also the special concentration to prepare for the TOEFL test. But, the result ...

How much can you now use this language for your work?
OK, this is a helpful way to develope our langguage. In my condition now I have only used the English for reading. Most of the people here could be in the same situation. You know, we don't have chance to comunicate with foreigners. We can comunicate each other, of course, but the mistake leads to other mistakes. What's an useless strategy comunicating with the same ones.

English is the most important thing for me at this moment.

shortgun

We can comunicate each other, of course, but the mistake leads to other mistakes. What's an useless strategy comunicating with the same ones
There are many sources for you to learn English: tapes, radio, movies, books, articles, etc ... When you practise reading and writing, your listening and speaking skills are getting improved as well. It does still help when you talk to yourself. Do not hesistate to make mistake, you learn a lot from that.

hehheheh. Accept the hard fact. Most of us are just mediorce people and we each should find our own method to master the languague. Usually it will mean hard-working, combine with proper studying methods. I find that when learning English what people lack most is motivation. Some even could not get themselves motivated enough to overcome initial setbacks such as bad pronunciation, difficulty in memmorizing vocabulary and the most important one: slow progress. The reason is the teaching method. Vietnamese English teachers are often improperly trained in teaching English, especially pronunciation and other aspects such as learning and memmorizing vocabulary. The teaching method in Vietnam is focusing too much on grammar while neglecting important intuitive aspects of learning such as body language, listening, speaking, visual learning aids ...etc.
i 'm going to mention here an analogy between learning English and learning table tennis. I am a member of a table tennis club and in our club there is a coach who is in charge of training new members of the club. Though i am not much of a ping pong player i can easily see the flaws in traing methods of the coach. The consequence is that after a period of conspicuos improvement these new members almost do not progress at all, no matter how hard they train. The same thing happened to most of us here. We had been badly taught by our English teachers in secondary and tertiary school and now the bad English has imprinted on our mind. Now we want to improve our English and we think of working hard, but in the wrong method. And guess what happens next, we quickly drop it after a few futile weeks.
Okay, so what is the solution? Well, you'll have to find one for yourself but i suggest a few learning material that can help you get motivated and may shed a new light on your English learning issue.
First get yourselves a copy of Bilingual Oxford Âdvanced learners Dictionary (~260 thousand đồng) and drop the habbit of looking up words for meaning only. This dictionary is good because you can learn how to use the word you look up instead of only knowing what it means as before. In addtion you'll find it useful because some of English words have no immediate equivalence in Vietnamese. These words will be explained in the way it is explained to a native English speaker and after a while you can deduce the Vietnamese equivalence for yourselves.
Alternatively if you are good enough you can buy the CD text and sound version of Oxford Âdvanced learners dictionary. There is native speaker (Brishtish English and American English) pronunciation of each word for you. Good pronunciation can be a major boost in your English studying because you can now be proud that in that aspect you may be better than a university English lecturer. Besides, good pronunciation can improve your speaking and listening skills. I recommend everyone buy this CD because even if you are unable to comprehend the explanation in English you can still use the pronunciation function.
Gosh..this is already the longest post. Ok, i'll stop here. Click on this link and find out more about learning English:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/studyguides/index.shtml
choose: Upgrade your English article. Other articles are also worth reading.
Go to http://www.voanews.com/NewsNow/index.cfm and download news in mp3 format into your hard drive. It can be used for listening material.

Btw, i am not very good at writing. Can anyone proof read this for me? I can see tuchau is quite good at writing.

Ngô Vũ

Drosophila's writing is no problem! There is no need for proofreading. I can see you are comfortable at writing. Since on this topic, I want to share one experience of mine in learning English.

I still remember when I was in one English speaking class. When the teacher broke up the class into groups and encouraged everyone to talk to each other. Everybody quickly turned into nonstop speaking mode, except myself. I could not utter a word although I was very good at all my grammar lessons. Now looking back, I blame on the lack of practice of mine. So I don’t blame dontcry for saying mistakes will lead to another mistake if you don’t practice to a right person. But I don’t agree with dontcry who sees communicating with the “same” one is a useless strategy. I admired my friends who seemed very fluent although it was possible that he was only speaking “junk”. But as Drosophila said, what most important is the motivation and attitude toward learning English. Without this, you will fail.

About motivation, I also have another story. I started seriously thinking about learning spoken English when I was about 20. I went through months of futile effort without obvious progress to boot up my morale. Instead of quitting, I did some research to find out why my progress in speaking was so slow. One discouraging finding was that some people think when you pass age 12 or 13, your ability to learn a foreign language becomes much more difficult, if not impossible. This news made my heart fell. Luckily, I did not quit; instead, my stubborness forced me to search for more information on the subject. What I found out would be a good news for a lot of you who are struggling with your own learning. There are numerous authors who believe that the ability of a person in late-teen to learn speaking a foreign language AS A NATIVE SPEAKER does diminish, but this does not mean that that person cannot make himself or herself understood. Of course, you don’t want to be a native speaker, you only want to make your message/idea across understood by the next person. With constant practice on pronunciation, a person can always improve their speech and make themselves understandable. If you pass the point that you think your accent is a problem, you will be successful in speaking. I once thought my accent was so terrible that I could not open my mouth. If I could not open my mouth how can I have a chance to practice? Furthermore, sensible people always ignore your accent problem and what they only want to get is the message you want to convey. And a bonus point is, most civilized foreigners think accent is something very interesting and cultural and fun to have, given it is not too distracted to become an obstacle of a dialog. Some people think that if everyone speaking with the same accent the world becomes a very boring place.

So next time, if you think your English will be your key of success, don’t be afraid of open your mouth and practice. The key is not at your accent but at speaking clearly.

tuchau said:
So next time, if you think your English will be your key of success, don’t be afraid of open your mouth and practice. The key is not at your accent but at speaking clearly.
to support this opinion, Ms Sandy's advise, my English teacher, may be useful for you.

"The biggest problem most people face in learning a new language is theis own fear. They (including me) worry that they won't say things correctly or that they will look stupid so they don't talk at all. Don't do this. The fastest way to learning anything to do it - again and again until you get it right. Like anything English requires practice.

Practice as often as possible!

Practice English often inside and outside the classroom. Your class is full of people who want to learn English. Why not practice with them by speaking only English in class? --- But don't stop studying when class is over. Review your class notes after every lesson. That way you can easily remember what you learned in class.

You can also improve your skills by reading books, listening to English songs and watching English news. You can even watch English movies to practice! This is not only a fun way to learn but it is also very effectively. By watching films (especially those with English subtitles) you can expand your vocabolary and hear the natural speech of the actors. Last, but not least, the Internet is also a fantastic resource for studying. The more English material that you have around, the fastest you will learn.

to dontcry: You have some problems with spelling; you should be more carefully when writing! For example: nomal -> normal, develope -> develop, comunicate -> communicate, langguage -> language, etc.

You know, we don't have chance to comunicate with foreigners. We can comunicate each other, of course, but the mistake leads to other mistakes.
You said you don't have change to communicate with foreigners but I don't think so. Communicate or not is belong to you! If you want to improve your English, you must first win yourself. You fear of making mistake, you will do nothing. Learn by own mistake, it is a useful way to learn anything. Good luck!

tôi xin share kỷ niệm học tiếng Anh của tôi. Xin viết bằng tiếng Việt cho tiện:
từ lớp 6-12: nếu có đi học thêm thì Anh văn tổng kết được khoang 7 đến 8 điểm, nếu không đi học thêm thì khoang từ 4.9 đến 6.5. Không bao giờ nghĩ là tôi có thể nói được tiếng Anh.
học lưu học sinh ở Thanh Xuân Bắc: ngu nhất trong nhóm các bạn tôi hồi đó-rất sợ môn nghe. Sau khi nói chuyện với bà giáo thì bà bảo tôi thuộc tuýp người thiên về đọc viết thay vì nghe nói. Quả nhiên tôi bị điểm nghe và nói rất kém khi thi IELTS. Cho đến giờ kỹ năng nghe của tôi vẫn không được xem là khá.
thời gian học ở nước ngoài: kể cả người bạn tôi giỏi nhất nhì khóa lưu học sinh đó nói chuyện còn không lưu loát bằng mấy bạn Singapore, Malaysia, mặc dù họ có thể không giỏi viết và ngữ pháp bằng cậu ta. Một đặc điểm là vốn từ đời thường của họ rất phong phú, phong phú gấp 2 lần chúng tôi (tức khoảng 10 nghìn từ thay vì chỉ khoảng 5 nghìn như chúng tôi)
thời gian học ở nước ngoài năm thứ 2 và 3: tôi rất ít nói chuyên với các bạn trong lớp. Tiếng Anh tiến bộ rất chậm-chưa phân biệt được các giọng tiếng Anh nhiều lắm. Phản ứng rất kém. Không học thêm nhiều lắm về tiếng Anh vì bận chơi game là chủ yếu...
thời gian những năm cuối: bắt đầu tham gia các forums với đủ loại đề tài từ lịch sử đến khoa học đến đời sống đến thể thao. Bắt đầu học được văn phong của viết forum. Bắt đầu chú ý luyện thêm tiếng Anh.
Về nước-tìm thấy rất nhiều tài liệu học tiếng Anh (dĩ nhiên là bản lậu) với giá cả hợp lý-chuyên tâm luyện lại kỹ năng phát âm và củng cố kiến thức. Có đi dạy kèm để củng cố kiến thức.
Cho đến nay có thể nói tiếng Anh của tôi đã đi đúng hướng, chỉ cần luyện tập đềù đặn sẽ tiến bộ-tôi không còn dị ứng và cảm thấy khó hiểu với cách học tiếng Anh của những người nước ngoài. Ngược lại tôi bắt đầu ghét cách dạy tiếng Anh trong nhà trường ở Viẹt Nam.
Một ví dụ tương phản: bạn tôi hiện nay ở nước ngoài đã 9 năm. Nhập quốc tịch (không tiện nói ra đây) và làm việc cho một công ty máy tính lớn. Khả năng nói của cậu ta tốt hơn tôi, nhưng tôi đảm bảo cậu ta có vốn từ ít hơn tôi nhiều lần và nếu viết về các chủ đề xa lạ thì rất kém. Khi nói đương nhiên cậu ta phản xạ tốt hơn tôi, nhưng khi nói về một chủ đề nào đó chắc chắn cậu ta không bằng tôi. Lý do của những điều này: cậu ta không bao giờ rèn luyện thêm tiếng Anh của mình. Không đọc và viết thêm gì bằng tiếng Anh ngoài lĩnh vực viết phầm mềm của mình.
Qua đây ta rút được cái gì:
+ chuyển cách học-nó có thể rất vất vả nhưng về sau sẽ có tác dụng tốt
+ kiên nhẫn. Tôi cam đoan nếu người ở nước ngoài 2 năm mà không học tiếng Anh thường xuyên sẽ không bằng bạn ở trong nước học chăm chỉ 2 năm. Miễn là phương pháp học đúng. Thậm chí người Việt ở nước ngoài 20 năm có thể tiếng Anh vẫn không bằng bạn nếu anh/chị ta không tự rèn luyện thêm.
+ lấy học tiếng Anh làm niềm vui- Tìm động cơ trong cuộc sống. Ví dụ bạn thích một lĩnh vực nào đó mà tiếng Việt có rất ít tài liệu. Bạn sẽ có động cơ học tiếng Anh để đọc tài liệu bằng tiếng Anh
+ nên mở rộng chủ đề mà mình học-không chỉ tiếng Anh học thuật mà nên học cả tiếng Anh đời thường
Hy vọng những bài học tâm huyết của tôi sẽ có tác dụng

nói chung tôi rất vui vì Việt Nam có một forum như thế này. Có thể các bạn ở đây chưa quen văn hóa forum nên có nhiều hiểu nhầm nhau. Nói chung văn hóa thời email và internet đòi hỏi lịch sự hơn nói chuyện vì "lời nói không bay mà vẫn còn mãi". tôi đã từng gặp trường hợp chửi nhau chí choé trong một số forums tôi tham gia. Kết quả là một vài thành viên bị cấm gửi bài. Tôi nghĩ ở đây cũng nên áp dụng một vài quy tắc. Ví dụ không chửi tục hoặc chửi nhau.
cheer!

"Sau khi nói chuyện với bà giáo thì bà bảo tôi thuộc tuýp người thiên về đọc viết thay vì nghe nói. Quả nhiên tôi bị điểm nghe và nói rất kém khi thi IELTS. Cho đến giờ kỹ năng nghe của tôi vẫn không được xem là khá. "

I think you are not one only because in my English class, I see that most of us have a quite good skill of reading but not listening and speaking.

We have many difficulties to hear conversation, especially a conversation in public places. We spend too much time on reading and learning vocabulary but don’t practice pronunciation often. I agree with you that without vocabulary you will do nothing but vocabulary without pronunciation and talking without intonation you will just like a dumb person because listener will hear nothing. Also, there are many different between speaking and writing. In writing, you should write in academic word and correct grammar but in speaking these are not important. You can talk in any way you want but provided that listener understands what you mean.

My english is so bad - u can see it. My voca is so low so that it's so difficult to me when I want to say smth in Eng. In all skill in eng I only like listening , my grammar are terrible. :cry: But when I go to english class, my teacher dont't mention in listening, he only mention in speaking and grammar. It's drive me crazy and I don't want to go class more. Sorry, can I change in vietnamese? My voca is ....end
Mình ko bít làm sao để co thể practice tốt eng nhỉ. Mặt khác, mình ko bít nói j nên cũng khó có thể lêntrước lớp nói chuyện. Mà thây mình thì ngộ lắm cơ, ông ây chỉ chú ý những gương mặt nổi của lớp và chỉ kêu những người â1y lên thôi. Nói thât nhé, giờ speaking mình chi xách cặp vô, ngồi nghe mà chẳng hiểu mô tê chi cả rồi xách cặp về. Càng nói mình thây càng tức. Mình thích listening nhưng nghe cũng chẳng được bi nhiêu. Bâp bà bâp bõm :cry:
Help me!
A terrible english!

Sau khi nói chuyện với bà giáo thì bà bảo tôi thuộc tuýp người thiên về đọc viết thay vì nghe nói. Quả nhiên tôi bị điểm nghe và nói rất kém khi thi IELTS. Cho đến giờ kỹ năng nghe của tôi vẫn không được xem là khá. "
Làm sao có thể bít mình cókhả năng thiên về skill nào in Eng nhỉ?

My english is so bad - u can see it. My voca is so low so that it's so difficult to me when I want to say smth in Eng. In all skill in eng I only like listening , my grammar are terrible. But when I go to english class, my teacher dont't mention in listening, he only mention in speaking and grammar. It's drive me crazy and I don't want to go class more. Sorry, can I change in vietnamese? My voca is ....end
yes, I see!

To learn English (or any foreign language) well, You must have a right attitude. Like listening but dislike learning vocabolary, it means you will hear nothing. Your grammar is terrible, I think that you should start with a course of basic grammar! most of us now are focusing on listening because it is the most difficult skill to us. You can hear well, congraturation, but I don't believe!

Làm sao có thể bít mình cókhả năng thiên về skill nào in Eng nhỉ?
take a full test with all four skills. Good luck for you!

Trích: làm sao có thể biết mình có khả năng về skill nào nhỉ?
Thực ra nó cũng giống tiếng Việt vậy. Nếu bạn nói tốt thì bạn sẽ nghe tốt và ngược lại. Nếu bạn viết tốt thì bạn cũng đọc tốt và ngược lại. Do đó có thể dựa và tính tính của bạn mà suy ra bạn có tiềm năng về kỹ năng nào:
nếu bạn nhác đọc. Cầm cuốn sách là thấy buồn ngủ nhưng lại có thể thao thao bất tuyệt cả ngày với người khác thì rất có thể bạn sẽ dễ dàng học nói và nghe.
Nếu bạn cả ngày không mở miêng, suốt ngày ôm cuốn sách trong phòng thì khả năng là bạn thiên về đọc và viết.
tất nhiên càng giỏi thì những "điểm yếu" này khó bị phát hiện ra. Cứ từ tiếng Việt mà suy: Có người Vietnam nào nói "tôi nghe tiếng Việt kém" đâu. Nhưng thực ra có nhiều người nghe bài hát tiếng Việt không ra. Tôi là một trong số đó, vì tôi thuộc type mọt sách.

Học tiếng Anh cũng như các ngôn ngữ khác thôi, một nhà ngôn ngữ học có nói đùa với mình thế này: "Học ngoại ngữ như là nhai rẻ rách vậy, nhai đi nhai lại, đến khi nào xong mới thôi".

Vậy, cách học ngoại ngữ tốt nhất và hiệu quả nhất là học đến đâu, thực hành đến đấy, đừng học xong rồi xếp đấy, không có ích gì cả. Nhất là giao tiếp. Nếu tìm được môi trường tiếng Anh, các câu lạc bộ tiếng ANh hay những người có chung sở thích để thực tập thì tốt nhất. Còn luyện nghe: Băng đĩa, phim ảnh, lên mạng search các tin tức online của CNN, BBC, VOA...

Nói chung, học ngoại ngữ nên đi kèm với multimedia và thực tập càng nhiều càng tốt.

Have fun :mrgreen:

john

Đồng ý là vậy, nhưng mình thấy mình càng học tiếng Anh thì càng thấy dốt, nhất là những lúc gặp từ mới, tra từ điển thì nhiều nghĩa chả biết đâu mà lần.

đó là chưa đi đã chạy: văn phạm của bạn còn chưa đủ thì tra từ chỉ tổ rối thêm thôi. Nói chung tiếng Anh tốt thì từ điển chỉ là tham khảo. Đôi khi tra từ điển mình lại tự mình tìm ra từ thích hợp hơn.

Facebook